The 2021 NAEP Process Data Summer Training Series will take place during three virtual sessions on August 20, August 27, and September 3, 2021 from 12pm – 3pm ET. The NAEP Process Data Summer Training Series is for quantitative researchers with strong statistical and programming skills who want to learn to conduct data analysis using NAEP process data. The summer series is aimed at advanced graduate students, educational researchers at universities or other research organizations, analysts from state and local education agencies, and those interested in analyzing large-scale assessment and process data, such as NAEP’s. The summer series will introduce the unique features of NAEP process data and provide guidance and practice in basic and advanced data analysis methods when using NAEP process data.
Using data sets that mimic the actual data from NAEP 2017 Grade 4 Mathematics assessment, the summer series will provide participants with hands-on practice sessions built on a theoretical background in analyzing NAEP data using the R program. During the summer series, participants will:
- Be introduced to NAEP assessments and NAEP process data;
- Learn the basics of analyzing NAEP process data;
- Go through guided examples of complex analysis using NAEP process data; and
- Hear about the challenges facing NAEP and opportunities in NAEP operations and research.
A draft agenda will be provided soon.
Terms of Attendance
There is no fee to attend the workshop. Attendance is mandatory. Accepted applicants are expected to be on time and join all three virtual sessions. Please note the following, and consider your schedule when applying:
- If you are more than 15 minutes late to a session you will be dropped.
- Missing the first or any session will exclude you from attending subsequent sessions.
Applicants should have a solid understanding of NAEP and NAEP assessments, know statistics, and be familiar with some topics in advanced analysis methods, such as clustering and sequencing. Please note that R will be used during the training activities, so participants are expected to be able to use R to perform data analysis.
Application Period: Opens July 19 and closes August 13 at 11:59 pm EST.
Space is limited. Notifications to accepted applicants will be sent no later than August
18. Upon notice of acceptance to the training you will need to respond within 24 hours with confirmation of your ability to attend all three training days.
Provides details on what you need to submit an application. Please read prior to starting an application.
Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- the potential for both applicants and NAEP to benefit from applicants’ participation; and
- applicants’ knowledge and skills in data analysis and programming in R.